Tuesday 24 November 2009

My time at Nairobi University is now over, and today I am heading to the Masai Mara with Saitoti. We will travel to Narok today, which is where he lives, and then have planned to visit various farms in the Mara over the next few days.

The last couple of days at Kabete were really interesting. On Monday, I went out with the ambulatory students. I met up with the group, and then, after waiting around for the clinician (somewhat reminiscent of RVC rotations!) we all piled into the back of a landrover, and set off for the first farm. We had been called to this first case for an inappetant cow, but when we arrived, it was apparent that this was the least of this farm's problems. Being the first Kenyan farm that I visited, I didn't know what to expect, and was quite appalled by the state that the farm was in. There were cows, pigs, sheep, goats, dogs and chickens all rolling around in each others' dung, hundreds of flies all over them, no drainage…absolutely no hygiene standards whatsoever. I was relieved that the students were all equally appalled by it, and told me that this was the worst farm they had ever visited. It was really sad to see animals in such a state, and the farmer wasn't the slightest bit aware of a problem. We soon established that the nutrition was also completely inadequate – they were feeding just beans and broccoli, and nothing else. The farmer was a rich man apparently, with plenty of resources, and so instead of trying to tackle the endless problems on the farm, he was invited to the university to learn about farm management. He eventually agreed to this, and with a shot of multivitamins, we were on our way. Despite that fact that the farm was so filthy, we didn't even wash our boots on the way out, before visiting the second farm. I quizzed the students and the professor about this, and it seems biosecurity is given very little thought on small holdings like this one; interesting compared to the huge importance placed on it at home.

The second farm was much smaller – with only two dairy cows! It was a fairly quick case – a cow had been treated by a 'quack' - a non qualified person masquerading as a vet. It seems this is a fairly common practice in Kenya, and they often compromise the health and welfare of the animals that they treat. This cow had been injected in the wrong place, and it had caused a huge painful swelling – the farmer was advised not to use the quack again, and with another shot of multivitamins, we headed back to the university.

 

When I got back to the hostel, there was a conference going on in the dining room, so I had a quick dinner of ugali and veg and headed up for a very early night!

 

On Tuesday, I was back in the clinical studies department, but this time to go to the University farm with the theriogenology (reproduction) group. They were doing pregnancy diagnosis, and I was impressed to discover that they PD 8 cows every day for a week.  On the way to the farm, there was some lively conversation half in English, half in Swahili, and it was explained to me with a laugh that one of their group  had  suddenly collapsed and died the previous morning. I wasn't quite sure what they were telling me, as they all seemed so cheery, but it was true, and there was a picture of him with a candle and a remembrance book in the department. I was so shocked, mainly that no one else seemed as stunned as me…he would have been out with us that morning. Perhaps this is the Kenyan way?

 

After a tour round both sides of the university farm, and an interesting chat with the farm manager about their farming methods, I went back to the University with Saitoti and Mike Mike, our driver. His name isn't even Mike, his initials are just M.M. so everyone calls him Mike Mike! We were in a 4WD truck, but the rains had turned the farm track into a wet muddy slope, and we slid precariously up and down it, wheels spinning, on the edge of a rather steep field. It was quite scary- but apparently this is nothing compared to what we'll find the field- can't wait!

 

I had organized with one of the students from my ambulatory group yesterday to have a video chat with them, and so met a group of four final year students. We had a really fun chat, although I filmed for 40 minutes…..my arm nearly fell off! It was great hearing their opinions of their course, and their perceptions of veterinary in the UK, and various other issues that we discussed. They all have an awful lot to say, including that women think slower than men and that UK students would struggle in Kenya as they are not innovative enough!! I think there will be a lot of editing for me to do on this one! Afterwards, I shouldn't have been surprised when they asked me to buy them lunch. I did think they were joking at first, but they weren't-so we gave them some money. It makes me feel quite uncomfortable, but it is becoming more and more apparent that this is just the done thing here when it comes to mzungus.

 

I spent the rest of the afternoon wrapping up at the University; thanking the various heads of departments and the dean who had all made me so welcome at their faculty. We then whizzed back to Chiromo, to meet Kisipan, who we have missed for the last couple of days as he has been teaching, and he insisted on interviewing me about my visit. The boot was truly on the other foot, I don't mind being behind the camera too much – although I do cringe when I have to listen back to my voice, but I am not a good interviewee at all! It was fun though, and Kisipan asked me some interesting questions. It was sad to say bye to him, as he won't be coming to the Masai Mara with us. He has been so helpful, and I have really enjoyed spending time with him.

 

That evening, I went to meet Terry, one of the first year students at her  'hostel' – the halls of residence. They have a tiny room, and three people sleeping in it. I see why they are so disgruntled now. There was barely room to move, and that was only with two of us in there. If they want to eat cheaply (the mess hall is apparently very expensive for not very inspiring food), they also have to cook in here. It seems crazy! We had a nice chat about our respective courses, and she said she was so pleased to have me here, as it inspired her to continue in her studies. Women are actively discouraged from doing veterinary medicine here, and she is very under confident about her abilities; it was nice to be able to help and advise her in a small way.

 

I went back to the YMCA for my last night, and was amazed to be offered spaghetti bolognaise for dinner!! Unfortunately though, after I ordered it, the waitress came back and told me that they had run out – they were just teasing me! So I had spaghetti and spinach instead…yum!     

Then it was off to pack up for the Masai Mara. I doubt I will be able to blog until the weekend now, but I have no doubt that I will have loads to tell you when I do! Kwa heri for now.


2 comments:

  1. Bev, i'm absolutely hooked! It really does sound like a completely different world, i'm always amazed that we as Brits/westerners just assume the whole world runs like it does here!

    Keep up the good work, sounds like you're changing some of their perceptions too!

    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Bev,

    This blog is going to make interesting reading! I'll look forwards to the next installment.

    Hope you are keeping well,
    H

    ReplyDelete